Saturday, December 6, 2014

Meet Cannon!

Hello again!  I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, enjoying down time with family and fabulous food!  This was our BEST Thanksgiving yet, as we got to meet our son, Cannon Matthew, who was born early Thanksgiving morning.  
Yes, it's a new month, and while I do have a new Momster of the Month to introduce to you, I like to take December "off" from sharing MOMs; we are all busy right now.  So...we will pick back up in January with a new introduction for you.  

Ok, I'll give you a preview. Our January MOM will be sharing her very honest and very personal experience with Postpartum Depression with the hope that she can help another mama who may be struggling, and shed some light on a topic that many women don't want to open up about.  I know it may not seem like a joyous way to enter into a new year here on Momster Mash, but everyone envisions having a new baby to be a joyous, happy occasion...while the truth is 8-19% of women have frequent postpartum depressive symptoms, according to the CDC.  I am thankful to have not had to deal with PPD myself, but know it's very much a reality for so many.  Stay tuned to read more about this topic in January.  

On the topic of postpartum, I'm now a mama of two! While the new breast pump parts are boiling, my toddler is napping, and I have one hour until Cannon needs to eat, I thought I'd share his grand entrance with you {this post actually took me a couple days to get typed up!}

I'll start with the eve of his birth, Wednesday, November 26th.  I was only five days away from my due date, and hubby and I were discussing how we should really start going to bed early to rest up for Cannon's looming arrival.  Instead, we stayed up until 12:30 a.m. watching Silver Linings Playbook (great movie, by the way!).  When I got in bed I noticed some contractions, and although they were stronger than the Braxton Hicks I had been experiencing, they were not regular...until 2:00 a.m. I started timing them with my contraction timer app, and they were pretty consistently 8-9 minutes apart, and stronger than I remember Lucy's being at 8 minutes apart.  

At 3:00 a.m., one hour later, I woke up Matt and told him the customary "it's time!".  I called my midwife, Nancy, and she said to come in.  I tested positive for Group B Strep and needed to get on i.v. antibiotics as soon as possible.  We both showered and Matt got the car warmed up, and woke up our daughter to take to our neighbor's house.  We sent text messages to our families letting them know.  

We were on the road a little before 4:00 a.m. On the 30 minute drive to my midwife, my contractions grew stronger and closer together, about 4-5 minutes.  When we arrived, Nancy checked me and I was 5.5 cm dilated and 95% effaced.  She had just checked me 2 days prior and I was 1.5 cm dilated.  She hooked me up to my i.v. for antibiotics and I rested on the bed for about 30-45 minutes - not quite sure, it's all a little fuzzy :) - while my contractions grew stronger.  Nancy continually wrapped me in warm blankets from the dryer, just like my mom used to after bath time, and I found that so my mom was there with me, hugging me.  Matt also sprayed my pillow with lavender-vanilla pillow mist that was my moms.  

About 4:45 a.m., my water broke.  WOWZERS!  So glad that didn't happen while grocery shopping 2 days prior! With Lucy, I only slowly leaked like I had no bladder control, but this...THIS was a crazy.  We got the pads I was lying on changed and within minutes I felt the urge to push.  The contractions with Cannon were more intense, and I think I had to push more with him, but overall, my total labor was 3 1/2 hours.  Lucy's was 9 hours total.  In my experience, faster is much more intense.  

Our 7 lb 10 oz boy was born on November 27 at 5:27 a.m.  About an entire pound bigger than Lucy was! He came out crying, but was immediately placed on my chest and immediately calmed down.  This is THE best part right here.  When I look into my child's eyes for the first time, the child that I've carried for 9 months, so anxious to meet.  The child I've already spent so much time praying over and dreaming for is finally in my arms.  His warm body melting into mine as he quickly relaxes and knows I am his mother.  

During the pushing I kept thinking "I'm so glad I'm not going to do this again!", but the MOMENT he was in my arms I said out loud "I can SO do this again!".  I remember pleading with my midwife, "how much worse is this going to get before he's out?!", and she replied with "It doesn't get worse, it just gets done."  That was the motivation I needed.  "Done" sounded amazing, and yet 2 more pushes when he was out...I already wanted to experience it all over again.  That is the miracle of child birth, of motherhood, and all of those hormones that have wreaked havoc on our bodies for the last 9 months, instantly make us feel such an overwhelming love for this tiny human we'd sign up to do it again.  Unfortunately, this is [most likely] our last child, and I'm so grateful that God gave these children to me!

I was greeted with one of two reactions when I told people I was planning a natural home birth.  "You are crazy!" or "That's so awesome!"  Some people thought I was crazy and told me there was no need to "be a hero" and to "just get the epidural", but this is the exact way I wanted to experience bringing my babies into the world and I don't regret it for a second.  I am thankful that certain interventions are available should I have needed them, and I completely support the women who choose to birth their babies in the way that's best for them.  With that said, if anyone lives in the South Seattle area and needs a recommendation for a midwife, I highly (HIGHLY) recommend Nancy Spencer with Lakeside Birth Center in Lake Tapps, She birthed both of my babies. Also, let me know if you have any questions regarding natural childbirth, or what I did to prepare.

When I was ready to leave, I got cleaned up, and we were back in the comfort of our home by 7:30 a.m.  I had prepared an overnight french toast casserole the night before, so we just had to pop it in the oven and Thanksgiving breakfast was served. Matt went next door to pick up Lucy just as his parents arrived, so we were able to enjoy breakfast together.  I had also prepped several dishes for a small Thanksgiving the night before, so with the help of his mom, we were easily able to enjoy our first Thanksgiving as a family of four (plus Grandma and Grandpa).

Of course I have mixed emotions about this being my first Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday, without my mom.  Coupled with the fact that she is not here to meet my son and he will not have to opportunity to get to know her.  However, the birth of our little Cannon was timely.  A Thanksgiving baby took my mind off of the possibility for sadness over not having my mom, and replaced it with the overwhelming joy of the birth of our son and reminded me how very much there is to be grateful for. 

Cannon is such an easygoing baby! He only cries when he's hungry, and nurses like a champ.  He eats like clockwork every 3 hours, is awake and alert for a little bit and then falls right back to sleep.  Praying this easygoing gig keeps up :)

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."
~ Psalm 139:13-14 ~

Click here If you'd like to read the story of our daughter Lucy's birth in 2012 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!